Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

There was this one time when I was wrong. . .

Yesterday I made a mistake.  I was in the wrong.  And the lady in the car behind me made sure I knew it with a loud and long honk.

Pause here for a moment to think about your personal reaction to a long and loud honk.  Directed at you.

What happened was this: We were all waiting at a stop light to get on the freeway.  It was one of those stop lights that lets one car on at time and those tend to move at annoying slow pace, especially if you drive stick shift.  Which I do.  And so I guess I had my car in neutral and my foot not as firmly placed on the break as I should have and I was rolling back and the lady behind me honked to let me know.
Cue my bad reaction.

Things I wanted to:
  • Flip her off
  • Stop completely and not move so she would have to drive around me
  • Honk back at her (even though the person in front of me would have thought it was for them)

So those are all obviously bad ideas.  Especially when I realized I was wrong.  And so for the remainder of the drive I pondered why I would react so badly to someone pointing out my mistake.

She did it really rudely.  I mean sure, I was about to hit her car, but not very hard and I probably wasn't as close as she thought.  Did she have to lay on the horn SO LONG?  Yes, she did.  I had Queen blasting and even with the long horn it took me a second (Me?  You're honking at ME?)  Honestly, what other choice did she have?  Still not making me feel better. . .

I don't like my mistakes pointed out to me.  Who does?  But there are other times people have pointed out my mistakes when I didn't take it so badly. 

I honk at people for making driving mistakes.  I honk at them because, in my mind, the people making them are being idiots.  They are irresponsible high schoolers.  They are moms with bleach blonde hair texting their cheerleader daughters about getting their nails done.  They are smoking and eating and talking on the phone all at the same time.  I don't honk at cute moms who have babies in the back seat and are jamming out to Queen.  So that's it I guess.  I don't want to put myself in the category of people who deserve to get honked at.  But today I deserved it.  So perhaps I need to change that category.

Happy Tuesday!  Only 11 more shopping days until Christmas!  (unless you're reading this at night, then its 10)  (don't want you basing your shopping schedule on this blog post)

3 comments:

  1. i would rather be flipped off than honked at. is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, cause I'm pretty sure I feel the same way. But I would have to be flipped off today just to make sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmie, this reminds me of how we wanted to make that invention of a nice honk. "Beep, Beep, you're about to roll into my car." Or "Beep, Beep, it's your turn to go, the light is green :)"

    ReplyDelete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)