Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Story (II)


Upon returning from my trip I was pretty much dating Jake.  He came over to my apartment every day after school and I made dinner.  On Wednesday nights I would go visiting people with my Fellowship Committee.  Jake was not a big fan of me driving around the city with Joe, Adam and Merrill.  Sometimes Valerie or Celeste would come, but most often I was the only girl.

Jake continued to get more and more possessive.  And that boy with the bleach blonde spiky hair?  His name was Adam and he continued to be a better and better friend to me.  I had never met a more sincere guy.  Hot girls, homely girls, everyone we went to visit, Adam was equally kind and excited to get know them.  We also talked about our lives.  We talked about my job as a Family and Consumer Science teacher (the new name for Home Ec) and the FCCLA (Family Career and Community Leaders of America, a student organization) adviser.  Adam was in FCCLA in high school and I now worked with some of the people who had been his advisers.  We talked about me dating Jake.  Adam was the only person who I was totally honest with, and he encouraged me to end it.

I was 25.  I shouldn't just go ending relationships.  I could work things out with Jake.  What if I didn't and I ended up single for the rest of my life?  (I have a tendency to be a bit dramatic sometimes, but who doesn't?) And then it hit me.  If I preferred the company of someone else more than my boyfriend I should end it.  Adam will probably never ask me out, but at least being friends with him has shown me the kind of guy I do want to be with and I deserve that.

I will spare you the details, but breaking up with Jake took three tries.  To quote Michael Scott: Yeah I went hunting once.  Shot a deer in the leg.  Had to kill it with a shovel.  Took about an hour.  Why do you ask?

When it was finally done, I quickly changed my facebook status to single.  On September 20, 2008 I got an facebook message from Adam:

Subject: Oh so sorry
Well i am sorry to hear about the breakup.... Well you know there is always me!!!!!




4 comments:

  1. Nothing like ending your story with a cliffhanger! :-)

    Looking forward to part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love the Michael hunting analogy! I remember break ups like that, too. Can't wait for part 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I hope I would be better at breaking up with someone if I had to do it again, but luckily I wont have to test that!

      Delete

I usually respond to comments here on my blog, so check back if you want to hear from me :)